Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Year of The Challenger


This year’s Wimbledon final was everything a tennis enthusiast could have wished for. Never have I seen such ruthless display of power from both sides of the net simultaneously. Let alone my short span of tennis viewing; people who are ardent followers of tennis for decades, are declining to compare this finals to any other. For them, and for me of course, this is by far the best grand slam final ever.

After the annihilation of the annihilator Roger Federer in the French open finals by Rafael Nadal, and both setting up another showdown in Wimbledon final, the expectations were quite high from of this final. That is because Rafael Nadal is in a form of his lifetime and Roger Federer, for the champion he is, he never gives up till the last shot.

Well, among Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, I was rooting for Rafael Nadal. And the first two sets made me comfortable in my seat. When Rafa had three break points in the third set, I thought it was all over, another one sided show in Wimbledon final. But already I had witnessed something so spectacular that I was satisfied. I couldn’t have been more wrong about one sidedness. To my despair and to joy, Federer produced some bamboozling shots down the line and grabbing the third set on tie breaker. Rain twice interrupted the proceedings making it a good 7 hour long match.

All I did was sit in my seat and watch it on t.v, still I was so exhausted. Both the players made life hell for each other. Fourth set too went into the tie breaker. This time Rafael Nadal got the upper hand, and two championship points. But Fedex wanted to roll on a little longer. Consolidating both, he managed to bag fourth set as well. Now that both the players were on the same step, there was a new stride in Federer’s game. It was not till 7 -7, we got to see a break of serve. Rafael Nadal was soon serving for the championship. For me the next game was the most thrilling of all. Roger Federer dragged Rafa to all parts of the court and made him win every point. This was a game that would have kept even the best of astrologers confused. After more than 4 hr and 45 min of some amazing tennis, at last, Rafael Nadal was able to close it out.

The Challenger is now the Conquerer.
We have a New Wimbledon Champion.

No comments: